Report from Modeling and simulation seminar in Stuttgart, Feb 2003

From: Sigurd Skogestad (skoge@chemeng.ntnu.no)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 11:42:37 CET

Hello,

Professor Heinz Preisig has attended a workshop in Stuttgart and here follows his report-
http://www.chemeng.ntnu.no/person/person.php?id=preisig

---

3rd International Workshop on
Modeling, Simulation and
Design in Process Engineering
February 27 - 28, 2003
University of Stuttgart, Germany
http://www.sfb412.uni-stuttgart.de

Overall impression:
The workshop was extremely well visited with 150+ people from universities but also industry. The arrangement of having reputed lecturers in a chosen field and presentations from the program was well balanced and it was not only PhD students to present their material, but it was also the masters that gave a survey or indulged in a detail on occasions. The atmosphere was open and constructive.

Written Material:

-       book of abstracts, in my office
-       two publications of Gaul on the 2D-3D mapping
        - Fritz Horn, once I have my office here, I got quite a collection including his PhD thesis.

And now to the workshop itself with comments from Heinz:

Thursday, February 27, 2003

Modeling in Process Engineering

09.15 Modeling and Simulation in a Specialty Chemicals Company
U. Plöcker, Degussa AG, Hanau

Interesting discussion on the structure of the chemical business with a distinction of molecule suppliers, materials and problem solvers as structural components in
today’s business. Emphasis was placed on the need for rigorous models mainly also for design purposes but also operations. Flowsheeting is seen as a commodity.

10.00 Molecular Simulation in Process Design
R. Krishna, University of Amsterdam, NL

Molecules in zeolites was the theme. Krishna showed that simple arguments, based on geometry and entropy considerations provide a relatively easy insight into the separation behaviour of zeolites. Overall an interesting talk with a little too much emphasis on appealing to the public thus too much repetition on the cost of more information.

11.15 Molecular Simulation of Thermodynamic Properties of Real Fluids
J. Vrabec, J. Stoll, H. Hasse, University of Stuttgart

Computational thermodynamics for liquid mixtures computing effective potentials. Basis is a polar, two-centre model and Lennard-Jones potentials incorporating shape dependent quantities such as energy associated with size and elongation, as well as polarity dependent quantities such as the dipole and quadrupole. Models describe crit temp, sat density and heat of vaporization mostly in the form of exponentials. Viral coefficients and prediction of surface tension as well as self diffusion coefficients, latter based on Green-Kubo model. Peng Robertson models are seen as fine in some cases but not in others. The results from molecular data are better than empirical equations of state such as Peng-Robertson. Ternary mixtures are OK taking into account binary interactions only. Three and more molecule interactions are not of importance.

11.45 Nonlinear Wave Propagation in Combined Reaction/Separation Processes
A. Kienle, Max Planck Institute, Magdeburg, S. Grüner, University of Stuttgart Bio Process Engineering

12.15 Systems Biology: The Reincarnation of Systems Theory Applied to Biology?
O. Wolkenhauer, University of Manchester, UK

Current state of the art is to accumulate a lot of data and then use data mining techniques, thus correlation techniques, to extract models. It is believed that this will rapidly change in the near future as more mechanistic views are coming to bear. Hybrid behaviour is likely to play an important role. There is also quite a bit of redundancy in biological systems.

14.30 Dynamic Behaviour of Microbial Populations in Stirred Bioreactors Simulated with EULER-LAGRANGE METHODS
M. Reuss, A. Lapin, University of Stuttgart

Demonstration of impressive combination of computational fluid mechanics with biological reaction kinetics. Marvelous pictures and movies showing spread and growth of “bugs” in the tanks with different stirrer configurations.

Numerical Simulation

15.00 Consistent Modeling of Multiphase Flows
S. Subramaniam, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ, USA

A discussion on different approaches to CFD including Eulerian-Lagragian approach. Detailed technical discussion. One of the main things in my point of view was the clear understanding that assumptions such as incompressibility leads to index problems and requires or allows for state reduction, however view one prefers.

15.45 Numerical Solution and Parameter Estimation of Particulate Processes
M. Wulkow, CiT, Rastede

Detailed technical discussion on the numerics and their intrinsic properties. The mix of stochastic with mixing poses indeed difficult problems. On the other hand, the approaches are quite down to earth as one defines largely a network of class transitions and an initial distribution.

17.00 A Novel Reverse-Flow Reactor Concept for the utothermal Coupling of Endothermic and Exothermic eactions
B. Glöckler, G. Kolios, G. Eigenberger, University of Stuttgart

The discussion centred on how combine storage of energy with a endothermic reaction with the energy carried in through an exothermic reaction the two reaction schemes being alternately initiated. Obviously, at least I thought so, is the heat distribution and the locality of where the reactions consequently take place of dominant importance. I side feed turns out, not too surprisingly, deliver a more uniform heat distribution during the “heating” cycle, which yields a higher efficiency when switching to the endothermic productive reaction.

17.30 Simulation of Acoustic Fluid-Structure Interaction by Hybrid Boundary Element - Finite Element Formulations
L. Gaul, University of Stuttgart

This is not my speciality, but I did ask for papers after this talk, because I felt that there is something in it that one should look at carefully. He maps the 3D behaviour onto the 2D boundary. I think this could be very interesting when thinking control of distributed systems. That was the reason I asked for the literature.

18.00 Reduced Kinetic Models for CVD Processes
J. Bauer, U. Maas, University of Stuttgart

This man has been making his reputation on studying time-scale-based model reduction for large chemical reaction systems as they are common in incineration processes. I think we are doing quite the same in our software, though in distinction with the extensive quantities and not in the concentration space. Interesting are the procedures on how they decide on the time-scale splits.

Friday, February 28, 2003
Process Analysis and Design

08.30 Low-Dimensional Models for Homogeneous and Catalytic Reactors
V. Balakotaiah, University of Houston, TX, USA

His work is suggesting to use finely-granular models to start with and then find more simple models through averaging procedures. This would need a careful study in order to judge its true contents. The theory being used is Liapunov-Schmidt.

Population Balance Modeling: Granulation
M. J. Hounslow, University of Sheffield, UK

I felt this was pretty much straightforward, though certainly relevant as chemical engineers do not so much lean towards population balance models just yet. The subject is gaining on interest, though.

10.00 Pressure Swing and Simulated Moving Bed Technologies for Adsorption Processes
A. Rodrigues, University of Porto, Portugal

I did not get much out of this story. Lots of experimental experience though.

11.15 Chemical Process Synthesis  Fundamentals and Tools
M. F. Doherty, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA,USA

As usual, Mike gave a very pleasant, competent talk. Interesting how Fritz Horn is coming to the surface again. Indeed his work has not yet been digested, though he is dead for about 30 years.

Process Control

12.00 Analysis and Control of Nonlinear Process Systems based on Physical Insights
K. Hangos, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary

Erik Ydstie left his marks on her. She is trying to view processes through the glasses of Hamilton and Lagrange. The two representations were discussed. I did not quite like it. It was, for example not mentioned that the two are linked through Legendre transformations.

14.15 Neurobiology and Industrial Process Control: Development and Implementation of a High Performance Sensor System for an Industrial Polymer Reactor
B. A. Ogunnaike, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, USA

Tunde talked about his work in DuPont, as slowly sufficient time has passed that makes it possible to do so. The idea was to look at neurological systems and their control behaviour. The example taken was the heart and the control of pressure and flow. The key observation is that there are two controllers active, one that acts quickly but then passes control on to a slower one as time progresses. The quick response yields non-sustainable conditions, which is the reason that the first controller is overruled with time by a second control action that yields more sustainable conditions but does not deliver the same high level of energy, thus performance is lower. The control loops also use a multitude of sensor information of quite different quality. For example the fast part is not very accurate, but then it is fast. This work will be published. Certainly something to look out for.

15.00 Control of Periodical Fixed-bed Processes
M. Bitzer, M. Zeitz, University of Stuttgart

I did not pay much attention to this one, as I have been reviewing the paper recently. It is a detailed analysis on how to control periodic fixed-bed reactors with an application to PSA.

16.00 Nonlinear Model Reduction and Control of Complex Distributed Processes
P. D. Christofides, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA

Model predictive control in distributed systems. He uses a combination of nonlinear model reduction techniques and geometric as well as Lyapunov methods to come up with a good control scheme. Performance was demonstrated on several examples. The low order of the models is rather relative. Complexity is high.

16.45 How much Nonlinearity is too much Nonlinearity?
T. Schweickhardt, F. Allgöwer, University of Stuttgart

The core of this presentation was the discussion of a new measure for nonlinearity. Elements in the measure include process dynamics, operating point and operating region, and controller design procedure and performance specs. The new measure is based on the optimal control law. The computational procedure does not require the computation of the optimal controller, which initially is a surprise, at least it was to me.

17.15 Closing Remarks by the Speaker of the SFB 412
H. Hasse, University of Stuttgart