Workshop on Ionic Liquids (ILs) - Report

From: stathis skouras <stskouras@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 16:52:19 CET

Til: vit. ansatte ved IKP

Hello,

Ionic liquids is a quite hot topic these days, and here follows a report a recent workshop by Stathis Skouras.
Stathis works with Sigurd Skogestad in the area of azeotropic batch distillation. He will finish his Ph.D. by the end of 2003, and is looking for a job..
Ionic liquids are claimed to have large potential in many areas, for example as entrainers in distillation, but are at present very costly.

Workshop on ’Applications of Ionic Liquids II’, October 2003.

 This was the second workshop on Ionic Liquids arranged in Germany. The first one was in Rostock in 2001 and the next one will be in Salzburg (Austria) in 2005. The workshop was organized by the Institute of Metallurgy in the Technical University of Clausthal. Clausthal-Zellefeld is a small town in the Harz mountain region about 100km east of Hannover. The town used to be a mining center in the past but the production was stopped in the beginning of the 90’s. Thus, the future of the town and its ca 2500 students is not anymore very bright.

 There were around 60 participants mainly from Germany, few people from Austria and of course me from Norway. The official language of the workshop was changed from German to English not only because of me but also because of some new foreign PhD students from Russia, France, etc. Most of the participants were chemists, few were chemical engineers and few were industrial participants.

 The welcome lecture was given by the organiser Prof. Frank Endres who introduced us to the world of Ionic Liquids (ILs). ILs are salts composed of organic cations and mostly inorganic anions. They are liquid over a wide range of temperature with melting points lower than 100C and even in ambient temperatures. The interest in ILs is increasing bevaus they are The first publication on ILs was in 1992 and in a period of 10 years this number increased to 500. This indicates the increasing interest in ILs both in the academia and the industry.

 There were 15 oral presentations and 6 poster contributions. I will give the title and the background of the presenter for all presentations. I will try to make a rough classification and I will give more details for those presenations I found more interesting. However, if you want additional information, you can get the abstracts by contacting me.

APPLICATIONS
1. Electrosynthesis of  Nanocrystallic Materials (Harald Natter, University of Saarbrucken, Physical Chemistry)

2. Applications of Ionic Liquids in Electrochemistry (Gerhard E. Nauer, TU Wien, Physical Chemistry)

3. Separation of azeotropic mixtures by extractive distillation (Wolfgang Arlt, TU Berlin, Thermodynamics, Phase Equilibria, etc)
One of the main reasons I travelled to Germany since I am working on azeotropic distillation. I was rather dissapointed by a guy that is always a good presenter. He decided to give a general lecture on distillation for undergraduates, since most of the participants were not engineers. He started by presenting the distillation process, continued with McCabe-Thiele diagram and concentrated on calculation of the equilibrium (VLE) line and the peculiarities when azeotropic systems are involved. He ended by referring to his PhD student who will give more details on breaking azeotropes with ILs.

Carsten Jork, the PhD student of Prof. W. Arlt had a better presentation. He showed how the IL interacts with the original azeotropic components and result in a VLE line that doesn’t exhibit azeotropic behaviour anymore. The simulations of the whole separation scheme with the extractive column and the recovery of the IL section were not very clear. From our discussion I got the idea that their research is still on the level of estimating the physical properties of the mixtures. Their knowledge on the thermodynamic properties of ILs is very limited and they perform experiments for estimating the properties. Few people (including the people from the Dortmund Data Bank) are trying to develop reliable description and description models for IL in real mixtures. When this issue is solved then they can concentrate on the simulation aspects. Preliminary simulations exhibit 30% energy savings mainly because of the simplified entrainer recovery unit. However, these savings cannot be translated in cost savings at the moment because of the very high prices of the IL (entrainer agent).

Generally, a lot of work has to be done on the basics before we move to applications and he admitted that it is not easy to get people involved in the area because BASF is sponsoring the project and they want to have the patenting rights before anything is published. Thus, the academic people are not very willing to invest their time in the area.

4. Functionalization and applications of carbon nanotubes (Rene Wilhelm, TU Clausthal)

5. Biocatalysis in ionic liquids (Franka Ganske, University of Greifswald, Technical Chemistry and Biotechnology).
Biocatalysis is one of the areas where ILs find a lot of applications as alternatives to traditional organic solvents. This lecture was about using new ILs as tailor-made solvents by varying the length cation alkyl and the type of the inorganic anion. In addition, aspects like purification and recovery of the IL solvent were discussed.

6. Nanofiltration of solutions with ionic liquids (Jan Krockel, University of Rostock, Department of Chemistry)
ILs are preferred as solvents in many reactions because of their negligible volatility. When the reaction products are volatiles they can be recovered by distillation. When the products are non-volatile extraction in supercritical CO2 can be a choice. However, sometimes the recovery of the products from the solvent solution is very difficult. In such cases membrane separation can be an alternative. Nanofiltration is particularly suitable for solutions with charged components like IL solutions.

7. Electrosynthesis of carbon nanotubes from ionic melts (Natalia Borisenko, TU Clausthal, Institute of Metallurgy)
A lecture from the new PhD student of Prof. Frank Endres in Clausthal.

8. Electrochemical nanotechnology in ionic liquids (S. Zein El Abedin, TU Clausthal, Institute of Metallurgy)
One more lecture for applications of ILs in electrochemistry given by a postdoc researcher from Prof. Frank Endres group.

BASIC RESEARCH
1. Photochemical and structural investigations (Charles Gordon, RWTH-Aachen, Technical Chemistry and Macromolecular Chemistry).
One of the most respected researchers in ILs even though very young. He was awarded his PhD from QUILL (Queen’s University Ionic Liquid Laboratory) in Belfast. He has later worked in Scotland (University of Strathclyde) and recently he moved to Aachen.

2. Hydroformulation in Ionic Liquids (Peter Wasserscheid, RWTH Aachen, Technical Chemistry and Macromolecular Chemistry)
One of the leading persons in IL research in Germany. He just became professor in RWTH Aachen even though young enough. He received his PhD on ILs in the middle 90’s in Germany and he is in close cooperation with the research groups in Ireland (QUILL), Scotland and Canada (CYTEC Inc.). In 1999 he founded ’Solvent Innovation’ a private company offering a wide range of ILs and developing new ones. They also assist customers in the development of new technical applications for ILs.

3. Aromatics Functionalization with Ionic Liquids (Nicole Brausch, RWTH Aachen, Technical Chemistry and Macromolecular Chemistry)
A lecture for chemists only!

4. Investigations on the stability and aggregate formation of an ionic liquid (Sandra Dorbritz, University of Rostock, Technical Chemistry)
A lecture on stability and decomposition issues of ILs from the environmental point of view.

INDUSTRIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
1. Urs Welz-Biermann from Merck KgaA gave a very interesting presentation on the commercial availability of ILs. Merck KgaA is active both in terms of research and small-scale production. At the moment the market is very small and the prices are very high (ca 1000€ for 2-3 lt). Merck sells only few kgs of the most well known ILs and few grams for research purposes for new ILs. However, he believes that the in the future the market will increase dramatically especially for ILs specially designed for specific applications (task-oriented ILs). Then Merck KgaA can go to a production level of 20-25 kilos. However, they will not move to industrial large scale production but concentrate on development and patenting of ILs. Maybe BASF will be the large scale producer of ILs. Merck developed a web-site (www.ionicliquids-merck.de) which they hope will serve as a discussion forum for the IL community!

LINKS
A few useful links for those interested in ILs

www.ionicliquids-merck.de
www.solvent-innovation.com
http://quill.qub.ac.uk/

 Stathis Skouras