Process Control Group of Sigurd Skogestad
Norwegian University of Science and Technology
The group is
part of the
Process Systems Engineering Group
at the Department of Chemical Engineering, NTNU, Trondheim.
In addition, we are part of the 40-member Strong Point Center in Process Systems
Engineering in Trondheim
PROST consists of people from Chemical Engineering,
Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering (both at NTNU and
SINTEF) and is the second largest process systems engineering center in
Europe (after Imperial College).
The activity of the process control group focuses on developing tools
rigorous, yet useful in practice. The aim is to provide the engineer
with tools to assist in problem solving.
To find out more about our activity, look at our
check out the Ph.D. Theses and Publications
available on the web (as postscript or pdf files).
- Plantwide control and optimization (including self-optimizing control)
- Feedback as a tool to reduce the effect of uncertainty (including robust
- Controllability of processes (achievable control performance)
- Control structure design (including decentralized control)
- Model-based control system design
- Design and control of distillation processes (continuous and batch)
- Stabilization of chemical processes and fluid flow
Other process systems engineering faculty in Chemical Engineering:
In addition, there are several process control professors (Foss, Hovd, Imsland + more) in the Engineering Cybernetics Department:
Present Ph. D. students of Sigurd Skogestad:
Master students associated with the group:
Previous Ph. D. students, academic visitors and visiting Master students:
- Felipo Doval Rojas-Soares (Spanish name: Felipo Alves Doval) Visiting PhD student from COPPE, UFRJ, Oct. 2019 - Mar. 2020
- Marcelo Silva Visiting PhD student from UFRJ. Sep - Nov. 2019
- Fabio Diehl (+ Julia Dias) Visiting PhD student from Petrobras, Rio, Brazil. June - Dec.. 2019
- Rodrigo Curvelo Santos. Visiting Master student from COPPE, UFRJ, Brazil. May - Aug. 2019
- Lucas Ferreira. Visiting Master student from COPPE, UFRJ, Brazil. March - July 2019
- Carlo Valli. Visiting Master student from Plytecnico di Milano. Itaty. Jan. - June 2019
- Allyne Machado dos Santos. Visiting Master student from COPPE, UFRJ, Brazil working on NARMAX. (Supervisors: Argimiro Secchio and Mauricio de Souza. Co-supervisors: Sigurd Skogestad, Dinesh Krishnamoorthy). Sep. - Nov. 2018
- Leif Hansen Visitig PhD student from Aalborg University, Esbjerg Campus, Feb 2018 - May 2018
- Otavio Ivo Visting MS student from COPPE, UFRJ, Brazil. Sep. 2017 - Dec. 2017
- Lingjian Ye , Visiting researcher from Ningbo Institute of Technology, Zhejiang University, China, July 2016 - July 2017
- Erqiang Wang , Visiting researcher from University of Chinese Academy Sciences, Beijing, China, April 2016 - April 2017
- Prathak Jienkulsawad , Visiting PhD student from Chulalongkorn University, Thailand, 15 Jan. - 03 Oct. 2016
- Mattias Hultgren , Visiting PhD student from Univ. of Oulu, Finland, one week Dec. 2015
- Simon Pedersen , Visiting PhD stundet from Aalborg University, Esbjerg Campus, 02 Oct.-28. Nov. 2015
- Qian, Xing , Visiting PhD student from Tianjin University, China, 01 Sept. 2015 - sept. 2016
- Thomas Bisgaard , Visiting PhD student from DTU, Denmark, Aug.-Nov. 2015.
- Daniela Paksi , Visiting PhD student from Slovak Institute of Technology, 03 sep- 19 Dec. 2015
- Kristian Soltesz , Visiting postdoc from Lund, March + Sept. 2015
- Sun Bo , Visiting PhD student from Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, Jan. 2015-Nov. 2015
- Derik le Roux, Visiting PhD student from Univ. of Pretoria, South Africa, May-July 2015
- Narissara Chatrattnawet, Visiting PhD student from Chulalongkorn University, Thailand, 01 Sept. 2013 - 31 May 2014
- Mario Francesco Sutil. Visiting researcher from Univ. of Salamanca, Spain, Summer 2013 (28.05-17.08.2013) + briefly summer 2015
- Nabil Magbool Jan, Visiting PhD student from IIT Madras, Sep. 2011 - June 2012
- Maryam Ghadrdan, PhD student July 2008 - Oct. 2014, Started as postdoc at TU Aachen. Presently at Equinor (Statoil), Stavanger
- Esmaeil Jahanshahi , PhD student June 2009 - Oct. 2013, Started as postdoc at NTNU Cybernetics. Presently at Siemens, Trondheim
- Deeptanshu Dwivedi , PhD student Jan. 2009 - June 2012. Started at Safetec, Trondheim. Presently at ABB, Oslo
- Ramprasad Yelchuru, PhD student Jan. 2008 - Feb. 2012.
Started at SINTEF Chemistry, Trondheim. Then ABB, Oslo. Presently at Honeywell, Bangalore, India
- Sungwon "Bao" Boksuwan .
Visiting PhD student from Univ. of Electro-Communications, Chofu, Japan (Sep. 2012).
- Mehdi Panahi, Ph.D. student Jan. 2008 - Sep. 2011. Started at Aker Solutions, Oslo . Presently Professor at Maschad University, Iran.
- Magnus Glosli Jacobsen PhD student Aug. 2007 - Aug. 2011. Presentlt at ABB, Oslo
- Alejandro Regalado, PhD student from Mexico, Jan. 2011 - July 2011.
- Nitin Kaistha . Visiting professor from IIT Kanpur, India. June - July 2009 and June - July 2011.
- Johannes Jäschke, PhD student Apr. 2007 - June 2011, Presently Ass. Professor in our group
- Elena Gomez, Visiting PhD student from Univ. Valledolid, Spain, April-June 2011
- Julio Dutra, Visiting PhD student from Univ. Santa Catarina, Brazil, Dec. 2010- May 2011. Presently Professor at University of Espírito Santo, Alegre (from May 2013)
- Ivan Holic, Visiting PhD student from Slovak Technical University in Bratislava, Jan-Feb. 2011
- Salvador Alcantara Cano, visiting PhD student from Univ. Autonoma Barcelona, Spain, Oct.-Nov. 2010
- Weiwei Qiu . Visiting PhD student from Petroleum University of China, Beijing, Oct. 2009 - Oct. 2010
- Mohammad Samsuzzoha . Post.doc. Sep. 2008-Sep. 2010, Presently Ass. professor at KFUPM, Saudi Arabia
- Henrik Manum, Ph.D. student Aug. 2006 - July 2010. Presently at Statoil Reserach Center, Trondheim (before April 2012: Cybernatica, Trondheim).
- Andreas Psaltis, visiting PhD student from Univ. Patras, Greece. March - May 2010 (3 months)
- Nitin Kaistha . Visiting professor from IIT Kanpur, India. June - July 2009 and June - July 2011.
- Andreas Linhart. PhD student 2005-2009. Presently at Conergy AG in Hamburg.
- Ronald Abbas . Visiting Ph.D. student from Univ. Witswaterrand, Johannesburg, South Africa. March - June 2009
- Flavio Manenti . Visiting postdoc from Politecnico di Milano, Italy. April 2008
- Jens P. Strandberg. PhD student Jan. 2003 - July 2008 (PhD defense June 2011). Presently at Aker Solutions, Oslo
- Elvira M.B. Aske . PhD student 2003-2008. Presently at Statoil Research Center, Trondheim.
- Heidi Sivertsen . PhD student 2003-2008. Presently at Statoil Stjørdal
- Jørgen B. Jensen, PhD student Aug. 2003 - May 2008. Presently at ABB, Oslo
- Sridharakumar "Sridhar" Narasimhan . Post.doc. June 2006- June 2008 (Also visiting Professor June-July 2012). Presently Assoc. Professor at IIT Madras
- Jakub Osusky. Visiting PhD student from Slovak University of Technology, Bratislava. April-May 2007 and April-May 2008.
- Gerrit van Straten. Visiting professor June-July 2007 from Wageningen University, Netherlands
- Sven Gruetzmann. Visiting PhD student from Hamburg Technical University, June-August 2007. (Presently at BASF)
- Federico Zenith Ph.D. student 2003-2007. Presently at SINTEF Control Engineering in Trondheim
- Eduardo S. Hori . (Ph.D. Brazil 2004) Post.doc. Oct. 2005 - Oct. 2007 (2007: Statoil, Mongstad, 2010: Statoil, Brazil)
- Tore Lid PhD student 1998-2007. Presently at Statoil, Bergen
- Antonio Brandao Araujo Ph.D. student 2003-2006 (From 2008: Federal University of Campina Grande, Brazil)
- Michela Mulas . (Univ. Cagliari, Italy) Visiting Ph.D. student/researcher Oct.-Dec. 2006
- Tshepo Modise . Visiting Ph.D. student from Univ. Witswaterrand, Johannesburg, South Africa. Sep.-Dec. 2006
- Veerayut Lersbamrungsuk Visiting Ph.D. student May 2006- Oct. 2006 (From Kasertart Univ., Bangkok, Thailand)
Junping Cai Visiting Ph.D. student Jan. 2006- June 2006 (From Aalborg Univ. and Danfos Co., Denmark) (From 2009: At Mads Clause Institute, Southern University of Denmark)
- Vinay Kariwala (Ph.D. Univ. of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada, 2004) Post.doc. Sept. 2004 - Nov. 2005 + Visiting Ph.D. student March 2003- May 2003.
From Jan. 2006: Faculty position at Nanyang Technologcal University, Singapore. From Jan. 2012: ABB, Bangalore, India
- Vidar Alstad (Ph.D. student 2001-2005), 2005-2011: Statoil/Hydro Research Center, Porsgrunn. From 2011: Yara Technology Centre, Porsgrunn
- Espen Storkaas (Ph.D. student 2001-2005). Presently at ABB, Oslo
- Stathis Skouras Ph.D. student 1999-2004. Post.doc. thermodynamics 2004-05,
From Nov. 05 at Statoil, Kårstø.
- Hilde Engelien Ph.D. student 1999-2004.
Presently at Aker-Kværner Trondheim
- Eduardo Shiguero Hori . (Univ.Fed.Sao Carlos, Brazil) Visiting Ph.D. student Nov.2002-Nov.2003
- Audun Faanes Ph.D. student 1994-2003 (mostly part time with Norsk Hydro). From June 2003: Statoil, Trondheim.
- Marius S. Govatsmark. Ph.D. student 1998-2003. From sept 2003: Statoil, Trondheim, From Dec. 2004: Cybernetica, Trondheim. Presently at Statoil Kårstø
- Biyu Liu [firstname.lastname@example.org]. (Central South Univ., Changsha, China) Visiting Post.doc,
Feb. 2003- May 2003
- Sholeh Ma'Mun (M.Sc., Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia 2000),
Group member 2001-02, PhD with Prof. Svendsen, NTNU, on CO2-removal.
Ph.D. June 2001. Presently Senior Researcher at SINTEF Automatic Control, Trondheim
- Eva-Katrine Hilmen. Ph.D. Dec. 2000. Presently at ABB Technology, Oslo.
- David E. Clough, Visiting Professor Aug. 99 - Apr. 00. Presently back as Professor at University of Colorado, Boulder
- Truls Larsson, PhD 2000. Presently at Eni, Stavanger (before 2014: Statoil, Stavanger)
- Bernd Wittgens, PhD 1999. Presently at SINTEF Materials and Chemistry, Trondheim
- Kjetil Havre, PhD 1998, Presently at SPT Group (Scandpower), Kjeller.
- Atle C. Christiansen, PhD 1998. Presently Director at Point Carbon, Oslo
- Valeri Kiva , Karpov Institute of Physical Chemistry, Moscow. Visiting Professor 1996-1997 (one year).
- Ying Zhao, PhD 1996. Presently at Candu Energy Inc., Canada
- John C. Morud, PhD 1996. Presently at SINTEF Materials and Chemistry, Trondheim
- H. Petter Lundström, PhD 1994. Presently Director of Research at Energos, Trondheim
- Eva Sørensen, PhD 1994, Presently Reader at University College London (Chemical Engineering)
- Erik A. Wolff, PhD 1994, Previously with ABB Offshore Systems, Billingstad. Deceased 2004.
- Knut W. Mathisen, PhD 1994, Presently Director of Process Systems Engineering Activity, Yara Co., Porsgrunn
- Richard M. Braatz , Visting PhD student from Caltech (summer 1992) and visiting researcher (summer 1993).
- Yongjiang Yu, visitor 1992-1993 (Shenyang Inst. Tech.)
- Morten Hovd, PhD 1992, Presently Prefessor in Process Control, Department of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU, Trondheim
- Elling W. Jacobsen, PhD 1991, Presently Professor in Process Control, Electrical Engineering (S3), KTH, Stockholm
- Zi-Qin Wang, postdoc 1990-1992 (FAS Technologies, Dallas)
- Thor Mejdell, PhD 1990, Presently Senior Researcher at SINTEF Materials and Chemistry, Trondheim
Other information about the group