Do NOT use Murphee efficiency

From: Sigurd Skogestad <skoge@chemeng.ntnu.no>
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 08:19:26 CET

Hello,

I had a quick look. It seems you did a lot of experimental work and that
the agreement between experiments and simulations is good.
I am generally hesitant towards use of the Murphee efficiency because of
its weak theoretical basis.
I prefer using the "vapor bypass fraction" as a better adjustment
parameter, because it at least can be argued
that vapor bypass occurs in real columns.

Good luck with your work and your presentation.

-Sigurd Skogestad

At 19:50 25.03.2003 -0500, you wrote:

>I am an undergraduate at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. For
>the past two semesters under the guidance of Dr. Jim Henry, I have been
>working on a mathematical model of our distillation column here at UTC. I
>have drawn from the work each of you have previously done concerning
>distillation column modeling.
>
>Would you or one of your colleagues be willing to review my results? If
>so, an abbreviated version of my report is located at:
>http://chem.engr.utc.edu/student-files/2003/495/
>
>In addition, I am presenting my work on distillation column modeling to
>our chemical engineering faculty on Monday, March 31 at 3:30pm EST. You
>all are invited to participate via 2-way video conferencing if your
>facilities permit. Just let me know.
>
>Thank you,
>Aubrey Gunter

Sigurd Skogestad, Professor and Head of Department Phone: +47-7359-4154
Department of Chemical Engineering Home: +47-7393-6855
Norwegian Univ. of Science and Technology (NTNU) Fax: +47-7359-4080
N-7491 Trondheim email:
skoge@chemeng.ntnu.no
Norway
http://www.chemeng.ntnu.no/~skoge