Robust decentralized control

From: <skoge@chembio.ntnu.no>
Date: Thu Feb 04 1999 - 09:05:35 CET

Dear Josh,

Let me first say (in response to your earlier email)
that I would somewhat reluctant to suggest to anyone
to enter into research on decentralized control, since quite a lot
of work has been done, and the practical significance is somewhat
limited (if you want to go to a great effort in designing a controller
then you might as well design a MIMO controller).

Then to your question about checking for RP. If you are talking about
a pure analysys of a given design then checking mu(N)<1 directly is
clearly the best.
However, if you want to design a controller that takes into account
robustness then the procedure you mention ("independent designs")
may be worthwhile (although I would probably not go to such effort;
see above).