please clarify my doubts - thanks

From: Arun <Arun.Tangi@UAlberta.ca>
Date: Sun Apr 26 1998 - 22:07:49 CEST

Hello Prof. Skogestad,

I am mailing from the U of A, Edmonton. I have been extensively using
your distillation model for my project recently. Thanks a lot for that.
but, I am encountering some problems. Can you please clarify my doubts
?. THank you very much.

1. In the reduced model for the LV-configuration, inyour book, you get D
= 0 (the state-space model). But, when I implement the model reduction,
I never get D = 0 and moreover the A,B and C matrices are completely
different from what you have provided in the book (even after scaling).
Why is this happening ?. The fact that I dont get D = 0 is really giving
me lot of troubles.

2. In your book, the balanced residualization is said to be better than
Hankel norm reduction. Why do you prefer to do Hankel norm reduction in
the manual you have provided for the distillation column model ?.

I am really thankful in advance.

sincerely
-Arun

                            ARUN K. TANGIRALA

3A 9014 112 St 536 CME Bldg,
(403)(439)(2691)(home)
Edmonton AB T6G 2C5 Dept. of Chem. Engg.,
(403)(492)(2975)(Lab)
Canada U of A, Canada T6G 2G6

Arun.Tangi@UAlberta.ca : http://www.ualberta.ca/~akt1

 * The stroke of a whip breaketh thy bones ...
    but the stroke of a tongue breaketh beyond thy bones !*