Scaling Distillation model

From: Sigurd Skogestad <Sigurd.Skogestad>
Date: Mon Apr 28 1997 - 13:31:47 CEST

Dear Alexander Schwarm,

Atle forwarded your email to me.

> On p.495 the book says that the
>model is scaled to magnitude of 1. But if I give an input of 1 to the
>first two inputs (L and V) I do not get the correct output of 1, even at
>steady state.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. The "model is scaled" means
that the input and output variables are scaled,
but the model gain is not one. Actually, the steady-state gain is
about 100 between these scaled variables, see (12.17).

Scaling of the linear model is generally recommended before you do
controllability analysis, model reduction, etc. The scaling should
make all inputs/disturbances of about equal importance, and all outputs
of about equal importance. Usually, this is done by dividing each
variable by it maximum change, i.e.

         u = U / Umax ; y = Y / Ymax; d = D / Dmax

where U is the deviation in original units, Umax is the maximum
allowed or expected deviation, and u is the scaled variable. For
more details see p. 5 in Skogestad and Postlethwaite (1997).

For example, for the outputs, Y is in mole fraction units and Ymax = 0.01.
So, a scaled output y= 1 corresponds to Y=0.01 mole fractions units,
and an output y=100 corresponds to 1 mole fraction unit.
We want the output magnitude |y| to be less than 1, i.e. we want
Y to change less than +- 0.01 mole fraction units.

If you increase u1=L by 0.01, then at steady-state, see (12.17),
y1=yD will increase by 0.878 (or 0.00878 mole fraction units).
Note that (12.17) is a linear model which applies to small changes.

I hope this makes things clearer.

-Sigurd Skogestad